Friday, October 27, 2006
My submission for Illustration Friday"s "Wind" is from my 2003 HomeMade Calendar and the title is "Mill House". This painting is for the month of November and the quote is: "Home is an Invention on which no one has yet improved". ~Ann Douglas~
Monday, October 23, 2006
Halloween is almost here and I love to paint haunted houses so I decided to submit my dimensional Haunted House Candy box for the Black and Orange contest. This is a valgal haunted house sticker. I love Halloween! You can purchase Valerie Walsh HomeSpun Haunted House Candy boxes at: www.valgalart.com click on to Gift boxes and scroll down to find this trick or treat! To see more entries for the contest www.penelopeillustration.com/projects/halloween2006/gallery.html
Saturday, October 21, 2006
The secluded Topanga property he shares with his partner Penny and dog Max
I have known Rick Davis for quite some time and today I want to showcase his unique creations. I find his work very appealing, Rick is one of those artists that find their own way of sharing feelings through tongue in cheek humour and a thoughtful approach that requires intricate knowledge of woodworking and articulated moving parts. The thing I love most about his work is the vintage feel, it brings me back to a simpler time and I love that feeling. I call Rick Davis a Topanga Outsider artist because he lives way in the hills of Topanga and his art has that handcrafted old fashioned quality with a rustic feel that only someone who spends time alone away from the beaten path could produce. He has some pieces that will be for sale on Etsy and I encourage you to check him out at www.rsdavisart.etsy.com Enjoy!
Friday, October 20, 2006
My submission for Illustration Friday's "Ghost" is from my 2001 HomeMade calendar and the title is "Haunted House". This painting has ghosts, witches, a pumpkin patch and even an old cemetary filled with tombstones that house all the dogs my family and friends have known and loved... Of course this was for the month of October and the quote is: " Laughter is sunshine in a house" ~William Makepeace Thackery
Haunted House copyright 2000
Friday, October 13, 2006
My submission for Illustration Friday's "Smitten" is from an adult themed card I created for Marisol. Even though the man and woman are probably getting amourous in her apartment, I feel that these little birds have something going on as well, it looks like they are smitten!
Monday, October 09, 2006
1." Over the Rainbow " / Judy Garland. This is the pivotal song and movie in my young life and when I saw the movie turn from black and white to colour and the way all the characters could be and do what they wanted to do I knew that I would paint this kind of scene, feeling and colour all of my life.
2. Julie Andrews/ Sound of Music/ Throughly Modern Millie/ Mary Poppins. I know this sounds cornball but these movies and songs and Julie herself was a huge inspiration as I was growing up when Musicals were big and she is and always will be a real lady.
3. Blue/ Joni Mitchell What can I say? This is one of the myriad of songs that she has written and performed that make me feel all the things you want from a song, a poem, a story, painting or life.
4.Crazy Love/Poco I adore this song! I play it often, loud and sing along. Legend is a close second!
5. I love bluegrass music very much and you know that song in the movie "O Brother where art thou?" "I am a man of constant sorrow". It's a great song!
6. Me'shell Ndegocello/ Ecclesiastes:Free my Heart. If you don't know who she is, you should! My husband John managed her for a little while and I admire her voice, soul, lyrics and musical ability beyond words. I like so many of her songs that it was hard to choose!
7. JJ Cale/ Tijuana He is one of the greats! Love all of his music since I had to pick one I chose this because Tijuana was my neighbor for a long time being from San Diego and this song conjures up all the feelings from this strange place.
8.Robbie Robertson/ Somewhere down the Crazy River. Love all of his songs too, Great on roadtrips!!
9.Eagles/I can't tell you why. All you have to do is listen and you will know why.
10.Valerie Carter/ ooh Child/ We had a friendship long ago, a true talent and an amazing singer. Appalachia and Cowboy Angel are both equally amazing! Listened to this record since I was 17.
Well this is 10, I could go on and on citing more exceptional and inspiring artists like Joan Armatrading, Shawn Colvin, Graham Nash's Our House and more but I must stop for now.
Friday, October 06, 2006
My Submission for Illustration Friday's "Trouble" is from a painting called "Puppy Love". The image was used for a puzzle produced and distributed in Japan. It was funny to me that they chose this image but it sold very well there and was even reprinted too. The artist Michael Bedard intoduced me to a wonderful Japanese agent and within a short period I got a very large puzzle deal. The company that made these puzzles did a beautiful job, replete with a board, glue, sponge and my very own valgal sticker!
Sorry to those that have seen this image before, my work load has tripled for the holiday season and my whole goal with IF is to go as long as I can using existing works. Speaking of that it is now one year that I started my blog and posting on Illustration Friday and I have made it through all those weeks using my art from the past so I can't Thank everyone enough for all your fun comments and inspiration. I hope it goes on and on!
Puppy Love copyright 1986