http://karenjasper.blogspot.com/2006/10/songs-of-my-life.html kj tagged me for "Songs of my Life" and I've had to think about it for a few days. How do you pick a few songs? It's so hard! So I will choose 10 and some will be songs and some will just be a type of music or a singer or band.
1." Over the Rainbow " / Judy Garland. This is the pivotal song and movie in my young life and when I saw the movie turn from black and white to colour and the way all the characters could be and do what they wanted to do I knew that I would paint this kind of scene, feeling and colour all of my life.
2. Julie Andrews/ Sound of Music/ Throughly Modern Millie/ Mary Poppins. I know this sounds cornball but these movies and songs and Julie herself was a huge inspiration as I was growing up when Musicals were big and she is and always will be a real lady.
3. Blue/ Joni Mitchell What can I say? This is one of the myriad of songs that she has written and performed that make me feel all the things you want from a song, a poem, a story, painting or life.
4.Crazy Love/Poco I adore this song! I play it often, loud and sing along. Legend is a close second!
5. I love bluegrass music very much and you know that song in the movie "O Brother where art thou?" "I am a man of constant sorrow". It's a great song!
6. Me'shell Ndegocello/ Ecclesiastes:Free my Heart. If you don't know who she is, you should! My husband John managed her for a little while and I admire her voice, soul, lyrics and musical ability beyond words. I like so many of her songs that it was hard to choose!
7. JJ Cale/ Tijuana He is one of the greats! Love all of his music since I had to pick one I chose this because Tijuana was my neighbor for a long time being from San Diego and this song conjures up all the feelings from this strange place.
8.Robbie Robertson/ Somewhere down the Crazy River. Love all of his songs too, Great on roadtrips!!
9.Eagles/I can't tell you why. All you have to do is listen and you will know why.
10.Valerie Carter/ ooh Child/ We had a friendship long ago, a true talent and an amazing singer. Appalachia and Cowboy Angel are both equally amazing! Listened to this record since I was 17.
Well this is 10, I could go on and on citing more exceptional and inspiring artists like Joan Armatrading, Shawn Colvin, Graham Nash's Our House and more but I must stop for now.