Friday, November 24, 2006

Illustration Friday: Invention





My submissions for Illustration Friday's "Invention" are my Building Clocks. Clocks are a great invention because they are useful, functional and can be beautiful too. My personal invention the "Building Clocks" will be featured in summer 2007 on the HGTV show " That's Clever". We filmed my sequence November 7th 2006, it took 8 hours to shoot because my project is complicated. It was quite a unique experience! We worked in my airbrush and resin studio and it was difficult for the crew because it is a solarium, it's all windows, great for ventilation, bad for tv because it creates hotspots on camera. I had to make 5 versions of the clock in different stages of completion and of course a finished version. It took almost a month to prepare my clocks for the show and ready my space. The director and field producer came a couple days before the shoot and checked out me and my scene. The crew was great, it consisted of 2 camera people, director , and a sound guy. It is a very small low-budget production company but they are tight and professional. I love making something from nothing or creating something from unexpected materials. The clocks shown here range from 2ft. to 5ft. tall. They have an attic room with a little door that houses the clock parts and you can change the time and battery. I always add a message to the recipient that is a quote about home. I typically get several custom orders a year and sandwich them between my "Houscapes" and paintings. I add elements from peoples lives, their cats and dogs and things they love. I am making one for a client to give to her husband for Christmas and it is a small version of their Montana cabin. It has a balcony deck that wraps around the building and I will post it when it's done. I used this quote a couple weeks ago but it's so perfect for today: "Home is an invention on which no one has yet improved" ~Ann Douglas~
My building clocks are made from foamboard and coated with a 2-part polymer resin.

45 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are just fantastic!

Katherine S said...

wow! that is real cute :)

Teri said...

WowVal, how exciting!! These are so adorable. I am glad someone is recognizing your creativity!!

Anonymous said...

Professor Pat Pending would be very proud. Super timepieces.

isay said...

they are really great. the first and the last are my favorites. i like clocks a lot.

Janet said...

I love your building clocks!...and I will be soOoo excited to see you on TV !

Anonymous said...

ValGal: There's no time here so we don't use clocks. When I get back I might need one. Yours are the best I've seen. Bad Dog (deceased)

marcisenders said...

Great illustration! I love that show...congrats!

Anonymous said...

These clocks are cool! This is a real life invention that is extremely creative AND functional. Beautiful... I love them all!

studio lolo said...

So very cool!!

tusen said...

The clocks are really great!

Ginger*:) said...

AHHHHHHH.... I love every one of them. Fantastic!

franhilz said...

what a wonderful idea Val!
I liked all of them - very nice contribution

Caroline said...

Wonderful clocks! And yes think home is a pretty good invention too.

merlinprincesse said...

Hello!!!! I am NOT a spam. Hheheh! Nice really nice clocks! You are very talented in many ways! :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, that is also very exciting for you to have a film made about them.
They are fabulous pieces of work, very inspiring.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you are a (missed)utopian architect of some sort. These pieces are quite nice, my fav is the 2° one,
Are they made of fiber glass? congartulations, guess that to have a film made in your studio was exciting!
:)

Doodlestreet said...

Wow!! How cool! This kind of thing really catches my eye...three dimensional work is something I've found to be very inspirational lately-
And I have to say it...these are perfect for people that spend a lot of TIME at HOME! Ahhhhhhhh! Okay, I had to pun--it's a sickness. ;) Actually, those of us who freelance from home refer to it sometimes as 'doin' time'. ;)
Beautiful work, dood!

JO said...

These are so great. Can't wait for the "That's Clever" episode to play!

Anonymous said...

these are hugely fun! wonderful inventions these!

Ellen Byrne said...

WOW! Super news about your television episode! LOVE the pieces! Can't wait to see the show!

Ces Adorio said...

Val, these are fabulous. I am so glad I stopped by. I hope you remind us of the show in 2007 again.

You are a great artist Val.

The quote about the home is perfect.

kj said...

val, you are unbelievable! every time i visit you i am left with extra motivation to one day sit with you over coffee and chat-away.

the clocks are awesome!

:)

° said...

great looking clock work and congrats on ur tv.
? wht material are they made from

valerie walsh said...

Michael I realized I neglected to list my ingredients! That's because I have mentioned my clocks in old posts but my clocks are made from foamcore! Yep, just plain old foam board, that is whay they wanted my clocks on the show because they look like clay but I coat both sides with a 2-part polymer resin. Thanks for asking!

Willie Baronet said...

tickytockytastic!!!

Liz Jones said...

Val! That is sooooo cool!
Congratulations!
May it bring you many sales and happy events!!

Majeak Ann said...

I wish I could be tiny, it's like your collection of painted houses, but 3D? it's amazing...
saludos Val!

Anonymous said...

how fantabulous are those? gorgeous!!

Geninne said...

Clap, clap, clap!!! You deserve a standing ovation for these my friend...incredible!

Anonymous said...

Those are so beautiful! I wish we had HGTV here, but who knows, the program may come on the local channels here in Asia... If you have the show on YouTube or somewhere, please do share the link with us - would love to see your show! :)

Diane Duda said...

these are great! i hope i don't miss that episode! please remind us.

Roz Foster said...

Those ARE clever and just adorable. Congratulations on the TV show showcasing them. What a hoot that must have been... I mean, after the month of hard work.

steve said...

Wow Val--impressive! I especially love the leaning, uneven blue one!

Kay Aker said...

Clever indeed as well as splendiforous!

LDahl said...

I was wondering how you would do 'invention'...clever you! Congrats on the tv spot!

Linda said...

wow! very special clocks, wonderful! look forward to seeing the show. Bravo!

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Very fun work!!! And I loved reading your story. I've seen that show and I really like it. Feel free to remind when it's going to be on, I'd LOVE to see it!!! Well dont, and thanks for sharing your process.

Michelle Lana said...

Lovely pieces, VAl! great work!

Unknown said...

One of these days i am going to own a Val Gal house. I love your constructed houses the best so for me these clocks are awesome. Next time I visit my sister I am looking you up.

Ellen said...

WOW! Not only are these beautiful but that was also an interesting read!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Val,
It are splendid your houses clock...
Very nice !
have a beautiful night, and an excellent day!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are totally awesome! Like Steve, I feel especially drawn to the blue one. I used to build models from foamcore, but they looked like...foamcore, lol.

Jannie aka Chickengirl said...

wow! so cool to see your houses come into 3D..and they are clocks too..even cooler!

Doodlestreet said...

Yup, still some of my favorites of the many things you do...and uh, why did I sound so hyper when I posted four years ago?

:OB