Sunday, July 04, 2010

Illustration Friday: Giant


When you live in LA you tend to get asked to do a lot of unusal jobs. I have had my fair share of unique opportunities and I welcome them :) This illustration is from one of those very times. This took place in 1990 at Sunset Tower Hotel in Hollywood. It is a landmark hotel and in those days The St. James Club of London and Antigua bought it and operated it as such. My friend was the head doorman and asked if I could make a special remembrance for Whoopi Goldberg because she loved the hotel and had been staying there for some time and he wanted me to make a quick valgal version of the hotel to make her feel special. I only had a day to paint and I wanted it to look like the work I was into at the time. I was making 10 layered dimensional towers and castle-like structures for a show in Santa Monica. This illustration was mounted on a lovely thick piece of paper that I made. This place is considered a giant among the old art deco buildings and many wonderful people have stayed here including my mom and me :) we had a delightful and memorable time there.
Please watch this short film about Sunset Tower Hotel.
valerie walsh 1990

13 comments:

asperezas said...

Lovely picture that reflects the essence and the spirit of the building
:-)

kj said...

aw, val. your stories charm me every time.

you could paint the new world, and it would be only fun and peaceful and okay a little riotous.'

hey, we should talk soon. right?

love
kj

Caroline said...

So glad you shared this with us, Val - lucky Whoopi to have this 'giant' painting! Fascinating hotel history too!

Anonymous said...

wow, love it!

Doodlestreet said...

Oh dood, you have captured the majestic quality of this great hotel in the best way. I love the crown at the top and every time I saw this art deco hotel, I kept thinking how great it would be in an illustration, and you did it! Glowing golden windows in the twinkly night time sky...even the palms seem to be sleeping...whoop is most lucky to have a valgal original. ;o)

Paige Keiser said...

So magical!! I love that night sky, it looks like it's sparkling.

D. Lindsey said...

Absolutely love everything about this one, Val! Love the glamorous history, and the wonderful story, and excellent design! Bravo!

Cheryl Lynn said...

Your illustration is beautiful as per usual. The history behind both your drawing and the hotel is very interesting. What a great piece of nostalgia!

Bravo!

MrBibleHead said...

Hey Val! That video was SWEEEET! Love that 'classic" stuff. The last shot of the hotel was great. You really captured the elegance and class of it. You should write a book about your life there in L.A. and include your artwork along the colorful journey. Thanks Val..... John Wayne was always my favorite... love the story of him and the cow :o) P.S. I'm sure Whoopi loved it!

roberta baird said...

You interesting gal!!!!
Never a dull story... love it val!

lil kim said...

great story behind a lovely illo! You make me excited to come to LA!

Kay Aker said...

You have so many fabulous stories as well as dazzling imagery!!

isay said...

beautiful valerie! and thanks for the video trivia.